Welcome to Aldo's Daughter's Blog. Please sign up as a follower to receive new recipes.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Take time to smell the--CHEESE?



We started our tour of Italy in Rome. It was a whirlwind visit. We saw as much as we could in just two days. Somewhat exhausted, we gathered our luggage and took a train to the foothills of Tuscany. We went from the face paced, hustle bustle of a big city to the ancient city of Cortona. My love for Cortona was immediate and continued to grow as I learned more about the place and the people. Cortona’s rich and deep-rooted history has surprises at every turn, window, and doorframe. The more I walked the streets, the more I appreciated the buildings, the shops, and the slower pace at which the Cortona people live and work.



After spending several relaxing days at our villa, all of the girls went to a cooking class at a local woman’s farmhouse in Cortona. We walked up the hill from our Villa to a beautiful gate that was at the end of a driveway of an old castle. It was there that we were to meet Shirley, the lady that we would spend the day with shopping, cooking, and eating. As we stood waiting for our ride, I admired the walls that protected the castle. The building itself was truly a work of art. I am still amazed at how the Romans, with very little tools and technology, could design and build such detailed structures. Also, I am in awe as to how long it must have taken them to finish a job.

Shirley arrived right on time to wisp us away from the huge castle to a quaint little breakfast spot in Cortona. Over latte and pastries, we were able to choose from a variety of recipes in her personal cookbook. We could choose one recipe from each category: antipasto (appetizer), primi piati (first dish), scundo (second dish), cntorni (side dish), and dolce (of course—DESSERT!). It was a difficult task, but we finally agreed on the following: focacci bread, ravioli stuffed with chicken and cheese, stuffed pork roll with browned-herbed potatoes, and almond biscotti for dessert (Watch, as I will be sharing information and recipes from my class in the near future). After breakfast and menu planning, Shirley took us to the local markets. First, we went to a shop that had a variety of cheeses—but no yellow cheese (not in Italy!). I can still smell the aromatic cheeses. They were just sitting in their places taking time to age to perfection for our culinary pleasures and to titillate my taste buds into a frenzy! (Sorry---but I just love that word—titillate!).



Shirley took time explaining the history of the cheeses and what pairs well with each one. She picked a variety of them for us to sample, choosing ones that graduated from a mild to a stronger flavor. After the cheeses were wrapped in paper, we stuff them in a bag and headed up hill to a butcher that makes his own prosciutto. Upon entering the small building, I immediately sniffed the rich smell of smoked meats. My eyes were quickly drawn to the hams that hung above the counter and were curing to perfection. Shirley informed us that the curing process takes up to two years (you can build a house in a quarter of that time!) She talked to the butcher in Italian, and then ordered some meat for us to sample later in the day. I watched closely as the butcher used his knife like a surgeon uses a scalpel. With such ease and skill, he sliced each piece of prosciutto thin as paper. Sure, it took longer than my local butcher who uses a meat cutter and still has a difficult time cutting the meat to satisfy my liking, but what an art. You could see that he truly loved what he was doing and took pride in each slice.





Next, it was off to the fresh market. The colors in the market looked like the colors on an artist’s palette. Each piece of fruit and vegetable was displayed in a way to allow my eyes to take in their true beauty. They looked so fresh that I fully expected to see roots attached to them. I did learn one lesson in Italy---DO NOT TOUCH THEIR FRUITS OR VEGETABLES! They want to take the time to pick them out for you. It is their job to find the best of what you are looking for. I had to put my hand behind by back to avoid pinching the fruits and feeling the vegetables for firmness. As Shirley gathered up her purchases, the lady that waited on us conversed to Shirley in Italian and shoved something in her bag. Later, Shirley told me the owner often throws in a little something extra (the only thing that they throw extra in my bag at my local grocery store is the receipt—and I am sure that I pay for the paper it is printed on!).



Finally, after a stop at a bakery for some bread and a visit to the local market, we headed to Shirley’s farmhouse where we spent over eight hours turning our market finds into a feast that would delight the most distinguished Italian chef.



What did I bring back from that morning with Shirley and the people of Cortona?









That sometimes I need to take time to enjoy what I am doing. I am always looking for a faster way to do things. Cooking is no different. Box and frozen meals helps in getting food on the table quick, but it is not necessarily healthy or satisfying. I am the first to admit that I have been a victim of getting it on the table quick. Likewise, if I need something from the store, it is a quick trip in and a quick trip out.

Now, I have some questions for you? Have you sipped a latte and chatted with someone for an hour about recipes and the joys of cooking? Do you know the name of a person at your grocery store? Have you ever watched the skilled hands of a butcher? Can you spend 5 minutes talking with someone stocking the fruits and vegetables at your store? Do you stroll around the streets with a shopping bag proudly displaying the tops of vegetables and breads? Can you talk about cheeses and wines like you talk about members of your family or your best friends? Can you taken the time to ---SMELL THE CHEESE??????

If you have never visited the town and people of Cortona---then, you probably answered “no!”

No comments:

Post a Comment