Welcome to Aldo's Daughter's Blog. Please sign up as a follower to receive new recipes.

Thursday, July 1, 2010


This picture of my pasta salad is placed on a tablecloth that I picked up in Italy. There were many markets that came to the villages once a week. I brought this tablecloth at a market that came to Lake Garda. It is amazing how a tablecloth can enhance a dining experience! After dinner, we commented on how good the salad tasted. I believe that it was the tablecloth that set the mood---or could it have been the two glasses of white wine??????

Italian Tuna Pasta Salad

On the night before we were to leave Lake Garda, Italy and head for home, my old school friend and I sat up talking about our trip—the places we visited, the foods we tasted (I think she had at least 30 gelatos during our visit!), and the trains and busses we cussed (I think she had more gelatos than the number of times we rode on the trains and busses!). We both agreed that the 17 days we spent together went by very fast. However, after our long flight home we both agreed that even though the trip went by fast, we felt that we had been away from home for a long time----if that is not an oxymoron!

Early this morning I woke up still trying to get my schedule adjusted to US time and trying to sleep in past 3:30 am. Shortly after rising, I began the task of taking back control of my garden. Being gone for 17 days means lots of weeds! I decided I would tackle my herb garden first as I did not get the annual herbs planted before I left. Once I weeded, I ventured down the street to a local garden center by the dam. I love it there as I can see the water as I walk around catching all the colors and smelling the flowers as the wind off the water whiffs the fragrances past my nose.

It was difficult to find healthy herbs this late in the season. They were lanky, dried up, and shown a lack of TLC that they would have had if I would have be their caretaker. But, after scouring around for over an hour, I managed to find twelve herb plants that I thought I could nurse back to health. I brought them home and place them back by the garden where later tonight I will give them a place to rest their little roots and give them a chance to produce the flavors and aromas they were intended for.

As I sniffed the parsley, I immediately knew what I wanted to make for dinner. It is a recipe that I have change many times over the course of my lifetime. It is my Italian Tuna Pasta Salad. It started just as a Tuna Pasta salad when I was younger. I would smother it with mayonnaise and stuff it in a tomato. Good yes---healthy---NOT! So, over the years I changed the recipe by eliminating the mayonnaise and adding olive oil. I continue to experiment with it. Do keep in mind that you can add any kind of vegetable that you like. I often use what I have on hand. This is the basic recipe.

Italian Tuna Pasta Salad
3 cups multi-colored spiral pasta noodles
Boiling salted water
1 can (12-1/2 ounces) white chunked tuna in water- drained (you can add more if you want a heavy tuna taste)
1/2-cup olive oil (more or less as needed) I love to use a flavored oil and you can flavor your own oil. Simply place the oil in a bottle and add herbs and garlic cloves. If you want it spiced up a little, you can add red crushed peppers.
3 tablespoons herb vinegar - You can make this too. Just add herbs to the bottle and let it rest.
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup minced onions (you can use red if you prefer)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
Crisp lettuce
Cherry tomatoes for garnish
Black olives for garnish
Cook macaroni or pasta in boiling salt water according to package directions. Drain. Rinse in cold water. While pasta cooks, combine tuna, oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, chopped vegetables, salt and pepper. Toss tuna mixture with the macaroni.

Chill until ready to serve. If pasta becomes too dry, you can always add more olive oil and vinegar to add more moisture.

Spoon pasta over sliced tomato on a bed of crisp lettuce. Garnish with olives and pepperoncini peppers.

Good served with hot Italian bread or crostini. Spread with herb or garlic butter.

Serves: 4

"Buon Appetito"

Kathleen-Aldo’s Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment